| || |
Council Member Owen Newcomer
Owen was elected to the Whittier City Council in April 2000. He previously served as a trustee to the Whittier City School District for eleven years.
Owen retired in June 2005 as a Political Science Professor at Rio Hondo College where he had been teaching since 1975. Owen now teaches part-time at Rio Hondo College. He earned his undergraduate and Master's Degree from California State University, Northridge in Political Science, and his Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Southern California. He is the author of Governing California and Los Angeles.
Owen served as President of the Los Angeles County Division of the League of California Cities from 2009-2010. Currently, he serves on the State Board of Directors, the Policy Committee on Environmental Quality, and the Policy Committee on Employee Relations for the League of California Cities. Supervisor Don Knabe appointed Owen to the Los Angeles County Homeless Services Authority Commission, where Owen has served twice as Chair. Owen has also been appointed to the Gateway Cities Council of Governments Committee on Homelessness where he serves as Chair.
City Council Appointed Organizations
- LA County Division of the League of California Cities, Delegate & Former Division President
- Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District, Delegate & Former Board President
- City Selection Committee, Delegate
- Gateway Cities Council of Governments, Delegate
- Gateway Cities Council of Governments, SR91/I605 Corridor Cities Committee, Delegate
- Whittier/Puente Hills Conservation Authority, Alternate
- Wildlife Corridor Conservation Authority, Alternate
- Puente Hills Habitat Preservation Authority, Alternate
- Hillside Open Space Education Committee, Alternate
- Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG), Alternate
City Council Committees
- Greenway Trail Enhancements and Expansion
- Mineral Extraction Permit Administration
Light Rail Transit
| || |