| || |
The City actively promotes a business friendly environment to ensure Whittier remains economically viable. The City of Whittier’s Business Development Manager serves as the ombudsman or point-person at City Hall for the business community and is available for assistance with permit status and technical assistance referrals. Following is a brief outline of the City's Economic Development activities:
- Ombudsperson, Business Assistance, Information & Referrals
- Guide to Doing Business in Whittier (online brochure)
- Business Attraction, Site Selection Assistance
- Business Retention, Business Outreach & Visitation
- Development Assistance, Expedited Permit Processing & Coordinated Project Review
- Leverage marketing and development opportunities through partnerships with local economic development organizations, both public and private
- City liaison to the Whittier Chamber of Commerce & Whittier Uptown Association
- Proactive outreach to Whittier manufacturing businesses
- Annual update to the City’s Economic Development Strategy
- A Film Friendly Ordinance (See Public Works for details on Filming in the City of Whittier.)
- The City partners with the WorkSource Center at SASSFA to provide employee recruitment services, layoff prevention and assistance, on-the-job training and other business services. For more information on SASSFA visit www.sassfa.org.
- The City partners with the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation (www.laedc.org), California Manufacturing Technology Consulting (www.cmtc.com) and other agencies such as Southern California Edison, Southern California Gas Company, etc., to assist local businesses.
- "Buy Whittier"--Council adopted 2% local preference policy
- The City is designated as a Recycling Market Development Zone to assist green manufacturers and recycling processors. For more information visit www.dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/RMDZ .
| || |