| || |
City Controller &
Director of HR
The City Controller is charged with the administration of the financial affairs of the City of Whittier. In fulfilling this mission, the Controller's Office performs a variety of functions which include the provision of staff support to the City Manager involving analysis and implementation of the City's annual operating budget, the maintenance of the general accounting system and the administration of the risk management programs for the City, the Whittier Redevelopment Successor Agency, Whittier Utility Authority, Whittier Public Financing Authority, Whittier Housing Authority and several special districts. The Controller's and Human Resources Departments were consolidated in 2009. Click here to view The City of Whittier's Fiscal Year Budget and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
The Controller's Office also provides support in various areas including the projection and analysis of compensation and benefits costs for labor negotiations; processing and reviewing unemployment insurance claims; administration of employee benefits programs, i.e., open enrollment and ongoing administration of the employee insurance, Flex-RAP, deferred compensation and PERS retirement; processing premium payments for employee insurance and acting as members of the Health Benefits Advisory Committee and labor negotiations team; and coordinating the safety committee program and accident review committee.
The Controller's Office coordinates the City's long range financial planning, financing in the capital markets and is responsible for determining the fiscal impact of recommended Council actions. Currently, the Controller's Office is responsible for administering the City's seven outstanding bonds.
In addition, the Controller's Office provides independent, technical analysis and advice on a broad range of management issues and problems aimed at monitoring the propriety of expenditures, evaluating internal controls, assessing efficiency and effectiveness of program objectives and analyzing and recommending changes in management systems procedures. Also, the Controller's Office is responsible for purchasing procedure administration, the disbursement of moneys, the preparation of various required financial and audit reports and the supervision of the City's inventory of property.
Goals of the Controller's Office are:
- To provide excellent customer service to the public, other City departments and City employees.
- To assist City departments in fiscal planning and forecasting.
- To facilitate and monitor departmental budget preparation and administer the City budget.
- To ensure the fiscal integrity of City operations and that City departments stay within legal budgetary boundaries.
- To issue or refund bonds at the best rates for the City and administer outstanding bonds.
- To ensure all accounting transactions are properly recorded and financial reports accurately reflect operations.
- To ascertain, at a minimum, recovery of all direct costs of providing contract services to other governmental agencies.
- To monitor the day-to-day administration of the City's employee benefits program; i.e., group health and life insurance, Flex-RAP, deferred compensation, PERS retirement system and COBRA rights notification programs.
| || |