| || |
click here for bio
The Public Works Department is comprised of seven divisions: Streets, Water, Solid Waste Collection, Solid Waste Disposal, Engineering, Fleet, and Civic Center Maintenance. Public Works is dedicated to contributing to a safe environment for the community by providing fast and courteous service to its customers.
- The Street Division maintains a total of 194.6 miles of streets, including 6.4 miles of State Highway (72). In addition, this Division is responsible for maintaining streetlights, street signs, and sweeping.
- The Water Division provides water service to 48,000 customers and operates and maintains a water pumping plant that produces 8,000,000 gallons of water per day.
- The Solid Waste Division provides refuse service for half of the city (11,103 customers) and specific services including providing roll-off, bin rental, and special pick-up services. This division also operates the City’s landfill which can be utilized by City of Whittier residents only.
- The Engineering Division oversees capital improvement projects pertaining to City streets and sidewalks. In addition, this division provides information pertaining to traffic and parking issues and public right-of-way. The Engineering Division also issues excavation permits, easements and property vacations.
- The Fleet and Civic Center Maintenance Divisions maintains City-owned vehicles and buildings respectively.
- Finally, the Sewer Division is part of Streets and is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all sewer mains throughout the City.
| || |