| || |
To obtain additional refuse, recycling or greenwaste containers, call the service provider printed on the container.
City of Whittier - (562) 567-9530
Consolidated Disposal Service - (562) 347-2100
Waste Management (800) 266-7551
The basic service level includes providing each single family resident with a 96-gallon green container for greenwaste, a 96-gallon blue container for co-mingled recycling, and a 64-gallon black container for refuse. Residents may request up to three extra green and/or blue containers free of charge. There is a monthly charge for extra black refuse containers. Use the chart below to see what materials are acceptable in each colored container.
Placement of Containers
- Place containers in the street with lids closed or in the alley on one side only where the large black alley containers are/were placed.
- Wheels must be against the curb.Front of container should face the street or alley if you are serviced in an alley.
- Place container a minimum of 3 feet from obstructions and other containers to allow for automated collection.
- Place all containers out for collection by 6:00 a.m. on your regular refuse day.
Removal of Containers
Please remove all containers (refuse and recycling) from the curb and alley once they are emptied. All containers (except the large 300-gallon alley containers) must be removed from the public right-of-way and stored on a customer’s private property. They must also be out of public view from the front and sides of property. According to Municipal Code Section 8.12.132, residents may request a “Refuse Container Permit” for those serviced in an alley who cannot place their containers on their private property. Call your refuse hauler.
Brochures available for download (Acrobat Reader Required)
Temporary Roll-Off and Bin Rental
Container rentals are available through the City or its authorized haulers only. Four sizes are available, roll-off containers are approximately 8’ wide x 20’ long externally and 7’, 4” wide x 19’, 6” long internally. Call Public Works Customer Service at (562) 567-9540 for information on rental rates and delivery options.
- 10 cubic yards, 2’ in height* (use for concrete and dirt only)
- 20 cubic yards, 4’ in height*
- 25 cubic yards, 5’ in height*
- 30 cubic yards, 6’ in height*
*Heights are approximate.
You can also rent a 2-cubic yard bin for smaller household projects for two dumps or two weeks, whichever comes first. Additional charges apply for extra dumps. Construction materials are not accepted in these smaller bins due to weight limits, roll-off containers should be used for such materials.
- Tin, steel, and aluminum cans & foil
- #1 - #7 plastic containers
(identified on the bottom of containers)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Newspapers, inserts, junk mail, envelopes
- Colored and construction paper
- Corrugated cardboard (flattened)
- Cereal boxes (with liners removed)
- Wax-coated cartons/juice boxes
- Aerosol cans (empty, no lids)
- Gift wrap
- Yogurt containers
- Milk and egg cartons
- Shredded paper (loose)
- Plastic bags/wrap
- Drinking glasses
- Plastic utensils
- Food waste
- Scrap metal
- Window or safety glass
- Light bulbs
- Wax paper
- Universal Waste
- Grass and Leaves (loose, not in bags)
- Prunings and Weeds
- Twigs and Small Branches (4 inches or less in diameter and 2 feet or less in length)
- Recyclables and trash
- Animal and food waste
- Construction debris, dirt and rocks
- Palm fronds, yucca/cactus
- Plastic bags
- Rugs and flooring
- Stumps, large branches
- Animal and food waste
- Bathroom waste
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Diapers and Toys
- Rags and Sponges
- Old clothes
- Empty paint cans
- Soiled paper plates
- Car parts
- Small amounts of dirt/rocks
- Construction Debris
- Large Amounts of Dirt/Rocks
- Large Appliances
- Yard Waste
- Hazardous Waste
- Universal Wastes
| || |