Parks & Recreation

Can I reserve the park, tables, or a room for a private party?
We do not reserve the “park” but if the group exceeds 100 people it is possible to reserve tables. Contact the Parks Division at (562) 567-9420 regarding picnic reservations. Buildings available for private parties are Guirado, Palm, Parnell Parks. To make reservations, please call Community Services at (562) 567-9430. To see accommodations at the City’s parks, click here.

How do I rent a room or facility for my event?
Fill out a facility request form completely and submit it to the facility you wish to rent, along with your deposit. The forms can be picked up at any of our rental facilities or at the Community Center, 7630 Washington Avenue.

Can I get a permit for a moon bounce?
Moonbounces are allowed at Parnell or Palm Parks, by permit. Please contact the Parks Division at (562) 567-9420 for applications, rules and costs.

Can I get married in the park?
The City will issue 2-hour permits for weddings at Penn Park and Central Park. Maximum attendance, including the wedding party, is 100 people and the permit fee includes the photo permit. If a professional photographer is used he must hold a current City of Whittier business license or obtain a 1-day business license prior to issuance of the permit.

Can I take pictures in the park?
The City will issue 1-hour photo permits for portraits and photo shoots at Penn Park and Central Park. Permits will NOT be issued for Beverly Fountain or Mar Vista Fountain. If a professional photographer is used he must hold a current City of Whittier business license or obtain a 1-day business license prior to issuance of the permit.

How do I get my parkway tree trimmed?
Start by making a request to the Parks Division at (562) 567-9420. Once you have made your request, a supervisor will inspect your tree and then contact you with information about tree trimming.

Can I have my City tree removed?
It is City policy not to remove a healthy, mature tree. However, we will inspect the tree and notify you about your options and whether the tree meets removal guidelines. Call the Parks Division for more information.

Can you give me information on the Skate Park?
The Skate Park is located at the Whittier Community Center, 7630 Washington Ave. The Skate Park is open from sunrise until sunset, Monday-Sunday. There is no admission charge, but safety gear is required. The schedule can change due to classes and/or private parties.

Where is Whittier Narrows Nature Center and Park? Where is Legg Lake?
Whittier Narrows Park, Whittier Narrows Nature Center and Legg Lake are all Los Angeles County Parks that run along Rosemead Blvd and San Gabriel Blvd. Information about the parks is available by calling the Los Angeles County Parks & Recreation Department at (626) 575-5526.

Where can I get trail maps for the Whittier Hills?
The Puente Hills Habitat Preservation Authority manages the Whittier Hills land and trails. Information about the Arroyo Pescadero trails and Interpretive Center is available by calling (562) 945-9003

What is the Greenway Trail? Where can I find out more about it?
Open in January 2009, the Greenway Trail is a five mile bicycle/pedestrian trail which has replaced an abandoned railroad right-of-way. The Greenway Trail begins in the northwest corner of Whittier, near the 605 Freeway, and closely parallels Whittier Boulevard. When it reaches Painter Avenue, it travels along Lambert Road to Mills Avenue, which is where the right-of-way ends. There is an active rail line traveling east from Mills to the City limits, and Whittier hopes to eventually acquire an easement along this line to take the trail to the City limits and link the Greenway Trail to Orange County. The trail passes through residential, commercial, and industrial land, connecting the various areas of the community and allowing residents and visitors to hike or bike through town. For more information about the trail click here or call the Public Works at (562) 567-9500. Click here to view the bike route map.

How can I get a brochure and/or sign up for classes?
The Recreation Classes Brochure is mailed to City residents four times a year and is also available online here. There are various ways to sign up for one of the classes. You may come into the Community Center or Parnell Park and sign up in person; you can mail in the registration form and payment from the Brochure or online form; or register by phone or fax with a VISA or MasterCard.

Are scholarships available?
Scholarships are available for Community Services classes and affiliated sports organizations to City of Whittier residents. You will need to fill out an application form and supply us with proof of income and the Social Security number for every member of your household. Begin the process by calling the Community Center (562) 567-9430 and asking for a scholarship application.

What Therapeutic Recreation programs does the City offer?
We offer recreational and social activities for persons 12 years and older who are developmentally disabled. Programs include art and drama classes, excursions, Special Olympics and dances. We also have a Whittier Club of the Deaf, a social program for persons hard of hearing or deaf. More information can be found in the Community Services Division brochures. Please call (562) 567-9471 for more information.

How do I volunteer?
If this is a court referral, you will need to contact the volunteer center located at 13583 Whittier Blvd., Suite 201, (562) 464-3711 or La Mirada Volunteer Center at (562) 943-3177.

If I live in Whittier why don’t I get the discount for classes?
Your Whittier address is located in the unincorporated area of Whittier; therefore, you are not addressed for the City of Whittier taxes. Residents in the incorporated area of Whittier pay an additional City of Whittier tax along with the Los Angeles County tax. The City tax helps support our programs, so they receive a resident discount.

What are the swimming pool hours at Palm Park?

Fall -Winter - Spring
Adult lap swim during the following hours:
M-W-F 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
Mon.-Sat. 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Mon.-Fri. 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Cost: $3.00 per swim.

Summer – Recreational swim hours are:
Monday–Sunday. 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Cost: $2.00 per swim.

Summer Adult lap swim during the following hours:
M-W-F 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
Mon.-Sat. 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
Mon.-Fri. 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Cost: $3.00 per swim.