Water & Trash

Where can I pay my water bill? Can I use my ATM or credit card to pay my water bill?
Water bills can be paid via U.S. mail, dropped in the white drop-off box in the Main Library parking lot off Mar Vista Street, paid in person at City Hall, or online. We accept payment by cash, check, debit or credit cards (Visa/MC only) if you pay in person. Public Works Customer Service Division can answer most of your questions about your service, and provide copies of your bills, please call (562) 567-9530 with questions.

Will my trash be collected on holidays?

Trash, recycling and greenwaste will be collected as regularly scheduled except for the following holidays:

• New Year’s Day
• Memorial Day
• Labor Day
• Fourth of July
• Thanksgiving Day
• Christmas Day

Whenever one of these holidays occurs on a weekday, the collection schedule will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week. For example, since Thanksgiving falls on Thursday, the collection day would be moved to Friday and the collection normally made on Friday would be on Saturday. The final collection for the week would be on Saturday.

I have a question or need another copy of my water bill. Who do I call?
Public Works Customer Service Division can answer most of your questions about your service, and provide copies of your bills, please call (562) 567-9530.

How do I change my name/address/phone# on my water bill?
Public Works Customer Service Division can answer most of your questions about your service, and can process changes to your water bill, please call (562) 567-9530.

How do I get a Landfill Permit?
Landfill permits may be purchased by Whittier residents of single-family homes at the Public Works counter in City Hall. Call the City’s Customer Service Department for the permit cost. Permits are good for six dumps at the City’s landfill with a maximum of a 3/4 ton pick-up truck per load. Please bring I.D. with correct address such as a driver’s license.

I have only one load that I want to dump at the Landfill. Can I get a discount?
Special Saturday Residential Discounts entitle you to one dump per Saturday up to a 3/4 ton pick-up truck. A nominal cash payment is made at the Landfill Gatehouse upon entering. No checks or credit/debit cards are accepted.

What can I dump at the Landfill?
Please be aware that Savage Canyon Landfill, owned and operated by the City, does not accept illegal materials, hazardous waste, biohazardous waste, universal waste, exempt waste, white goods, electronic waste, whole or shredded tires, contaminated soil or green waste.

Where can I safely and legally dispose of hazardous waste?
Los Angeles County sponsors FREE Household Hazardous and E-Waste Roundups on Saturdays. Call (888) CLEAN-LA (1-888-253-2652), go to dpw.lacounty.gov, www.lacsd.org, or call the City of Whittier at (562) 567-9540 for additional information. Materials accepted include:expired pharmaceuticals, fluorescent lightbulbs, paint, paint thinner, turpentine, cleaners with acid or lye, pesticides and herbicides, household and car batteries, motor oil, oil filters, brake fluid, pool chemicals, televisions, VCRs, DVDs, radios, stereos, tires, computers, monitors, printers, etc.

How can I dispose of e-waste?
Whittier residents may request curbside collection of e-waste. Please call your refuse service provider to schedule a collection. Residents may also dispose of e-waste at a local Household Hazardous Waste and E-Waste Roundup. Contact the LA County Sanitation Districts for information on upcoming Roundups at 1-800-238-0172 or http://www.lacsd.org/.

Commercial customers may request e-waste collection from their refuse service provider for a fee. Call your refuse provider for additional information.

Where can I safely and legally dispose of old/used motor oil?
The City of Whittier provides free containers in the Public Works Department at City Hall for transporting used motor oil safely to collection centers. Click here to view a list of centers that accept used oil.

Where can I report Storm Drain Dumping?
To Report Illegal Storm Drain Dumping or to Receive Information on Storm Water Pollution - call Los Angeles County Department of Public Works (800) 303-0003.

When is the Landfill open?
Savage Canyon Landfill located at 13919 Penn Street, is open Monday through Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. It is closed on rainy days, New Years Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving Day, 4th of July and Christmas Day. Call (562) 907-7750 or (562) 698-1223 to check status after rains.

How do I dispose of construction and demolition waste?
Construction and Demolition Waste must not be disposed of in alley containers or on public property. Construction projects must use a roll-off container for disposal of construction and demolition materials. Contact the franchise hauler for rental information. Non franchise hauler roll-off boxes are prohibited and will be impounded.
Athens - 888-336-6100
Republic - 800-299-4898

How do I rent a Roll-off container? What are the sizes available?

Four sizes are available, all roll-off containers are 8’ wide x 20’ long externally and 7’, 4” wide x 19’, 6” long internally. Call the franchise hauler for information on rental rates and delivery options.

10 cubic yards, 2’ in height (use for concrete and dirt only)
20 cubic yards, 4’ in height
25 cubic yards, 5’ in height
30 cubic yards, 6’ in height

Athens - 888-336-6100
Republic - 800-299-4898

A roll-off container is too big, do you have anything smaller?
You can rent a 3-cubic yard bin for smaller household projects. Construction materials are not accepted in these smaller bins due to weight limits. Call your franchise hauler for additional information and rates.
Athens 888-336-6100
Republic 800-299-4898

I need to dispose of sofa, refrigerator or other large item. How do I arrange for pickup?
Whittier residential customers may request up to four (4) free pick-ups annually of oversized or overweight household articles such as furniture and/or appliances. There is a limit of three items per collection. The service must be requested in advance and scheduled for the regular collection day. Commercial customers and residential customers with large or unusual jobs will be quoted a cost based on time and material(s) involved.

How can I get extra Trash/Recycling Containers?
Call your service provider at the telephone number provided under Customer Service. The basic service level includes providing each single family resident with a 96-gallon green container for greenwaste, a 96-gallon blue container for co-mingled recycling, and a 64-gallon black container for refuse. Residents may request up to one extra green and unlimited blue containers free of charge. There is a monthly charge for extra black refuse containers and green waste containers beyond two.

Where should I place my trash/recycling containers on trash day?
• Place containers in the street or on the parkway with lids closed or in the alley on one side only where the large black alley containers are/were placed.
• Wheels must be against the curb.
• Front of container should face the street or alley if you are serviced in an alley.
• Place container a minimum of 3 feet from obstructions and other containers to allow for automated collection.
• Place all containers out for collection by 6:00 a.m. on your regular refuse day.

Where can I keep my trash/recycling Containers?
Please remove all containers (refuse and recycling) from the curb and alley once they are emptied. All containers (except the large 300-gallon alley containers) must be removed from the public right-of-way and stored on a customer’s private property. They must also be out of public view from the front and sides of property. According to Municipal Code Section 8.12.132, the Public Works Director may permit placement of solid waste and recycling containers in the public right-of-way in an alley only under unusual circumstances that render it impossible to retain the containers on private property.