What is required to obtain a U.S. passport for adults?
To apply for a new passport, or to renew a passport that was issued more than 15 years ago, you must submit:

  • Completed, unsigned application form DS-11.
  • Proof of United States citizenship (the original documents-no copies.)
  • Government issued I.D.-as well as a photocopy of the front and back of the same.
  • One 2" x 2"  photograph.
  • Social Security number
  • Fee for U.S. Department of State-check or money order.

What is required for a passport for children under 16?

The following requirements are the same for both first time and renewal applicants. 
The child and both parents or legal guardian(s) must be present and:     

  • Submit a completed, unsigned DS-11 form in person;
  • Present evidence of child’s U.S. citizenship.
  • Present evidence of relationship between child and parent(s)/guardian(s);
  • Present identification of parent(s)/guardian(s);
  • Submit a photocopy of front and back of identification for each parent/guardian.
  • Submit one 2" x 2" passport photograph.

Only one parent or guardian must be present for 16 and 17 year olds.

What if I am not a U. S. citizen?
Find out more about the citizenship process or traveling with a permanent resident card at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services or US Immigration Help.

What if I need my Passport sooner than the Expedited Service delivery date?

You must make an appointment by telephone for acceptance service if you are traveling within 2 weeks. You must show proof of travel (i.e. airline tickets).
Call 877-487-2778 to make an appointment at the:
Los Angeles Passport Office
11000 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1000
Los Angeles, CA 90024
For more information, please visit


What if my valid passport has been lost or stolen?
If your current passport has been lost or stolen, you must submit form DS-11 for a new passport along with all oringial documentation. You must also submit Form DS-64, "Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport." If you have lost your expired U. S. Passport, you must apply for a new passport and submit all original documentation, but the Form DS-64 is not necessary.

What is acceptable proof of identification?
Adults may submit their current, valid Driver’s License or California I.D. card. Adults may also submit a current U.S. Passport or current Military I.D. Card.

What is acceptable proof of U.S. Citizenship?
You must provide an original copy of your certified birth certificate (no photocopies). The California Certified Abstract of Birth and the Texas Certified Abstract of Birth are NOT ACCEPTED by the U.S. State Department. You may NOT submit a hospital birth record. Your certified birth certificate will be submitted with your passport application. If you are a naturalized U.S. Citizen, you must provide your Certificate of Naturalization. This certificate will be submitted with your passport application. These original documents will be returned with your new passport. You may also submit your expired U.S. Passport. Your old passport will be returned with your new passport.

When can I apply for a U.S. Passport at the Whittier Central Library?
Click here to view how you can make an appointment  for a U.S. Passport.  You can also phone 562-567-9904 for further information or to make a Passport Appointment.

Where can I obtain a Certified Birth Certificate?
Depending upon where you were born, you need to contact the County Recorder or Registrar of Birth. You can also find this information using vital check at 1-800-255-2414 or on the web at

Where do I get the photographs?
The Library has identified local camera and photography stores that provide Passport Photos, and the list is available from the library. You need one, 2-inch by 2-inch passport photograph. The background must be light colored. You may not submit school photographs. Digital photos are acceptable. The library takes pictures for $10.00.

Who provides the U.S. Passport Acceptance Service?
Library staff have been designated by the U.S. State Department as U.S. Passport Acceptance Agents. In this capacity we are required to follow all Federal rules and regulations. There are NO exceptions. Service may be denied if applicants do not supply the required documentation or adhere to U.S. Passport Acceptance rules and regulations. 

Book your appointment here.