Whittier Named Most Business-Friendly City by LAEDC
CITY OF WHITTIER
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NOVEMBER 9, 2018
CONTACT: Jeffrey W. Collier, City Manager, (562) 567-9300
WHITTIER NAMED MOST BUSINESS-FRIENDLY CITY BY LAEDC
WHITTIER, CA – On November 8, 2018, the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC) named the City of Whittier as the “Most Business-Friendly City” in Los Angeles County during the 23rd Annual EDDY Awards Gala held at the Intercontinental Hotel in Downtown LA. Whittier had been recognized as a finalist alongside fellow large population cities of Inglewood and Rosemead, and took home the top honors during the LAEDC’s annual fundraising event.
“This is big news for our City and it’s great to see that our efforts to support and assist local businesses have been highlighted again this year,” said Mayor Joe Vinatieri. “We are fortunate to have so many wonderful businesses in our community and the City Council appreciates that they have chosen to invest in Whittier. It’s our job to help them succeed.” Mayor Vinatieri went on to say, “This award further demonstrates the lengths at which our City Council, staff and local partners go to ensure our business community continues to thrive. In the face of an ever-changing retail atmosphere and the loss of redevelopment in California, we are always seeking new, creative ways to support our businesses through our economic development program and personalized service."
Winners were selected by the LAEDC’s panel of blue ribbon judges based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated commitment to economic development as a priority
- Programs and services designed to facilitate business entry, expansion and retention
- Economic development activity over the past three years
- Competitive business tax rates and fee structures
- Availability of economic incentives
- Regular and effective communication with businesses
The City of Whittier is committed to proactive economic development and promotes a business-friendly environment City-wide to ensure Whittier remains economically viable. The City’s Economic Development Program is designed to encourage business growth and private investment, as well as long-term sustainability. Additional examples of why Whittier was selected as Most Business-Friendly City include:
- A short timeframe for approval of business licenses and renewals
- Great partnerships with business and workforce organizations such as the Whittier Area Chamber of Commerce; Whittier Uptown Association; Uptown Whittier Improvement Association; Gateway Council of Governments; Regional Occupational Program; California Manufacturing Technology Consulting group; and America’s Job Center of California; and
- A Business Development Manager dedicated to serving as an ombudsperson to help businesses navigate the City’s licensing, permitting process and development.
The City of Whittier was named a Most Business-Friendly City Finalist in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2018; was chosen as the winner in 2012 and 2018; and is now only the third City in the EDDY’s 23-year history to have won the Most Business-Friendly City Award twice.
“Being business-friendly is a philosophy embraced throughout City Hall. The City Council is committed to making sure the needs of our businesses are met and that we continue to provide access to helpful resources and opportunities for growth,” said Mayor Pro Tem Josué Alvarado.
For more information on the City of Whittier Economic Development Program, contact the Business Development Manager at (562) 567-9351 or visit www.cityofwhittier.org.
# # #