COVID-19 Update: Tuesday, July 7, 2020

WHITTIER, Calif. – Governor Gavin Newsom and the County of Los Angeles recently mandated the closure of beaches, museums, and indoor restaurant service for a minimum of three weeks. (Read latest information here)

Animal Control FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

  • How much will my dog license be?

    The current fees are as follows:

    • Unaltered Dog $60
    • Spayed or Neutered Dog $36
    • Senior Citizen* $18
    • Late Fee $20

    *In order to qualify for the senior citizen rate, you must be at least 60 years old and your dog must be altered.

  • Who do I call about coyotes?

    Animal Control does not trap coyotes. Please call one of the following for coyotes or visit this website for more information on living with wildlife:

    • Habitat Authority 562-945-9003
    • Dept of Agriculture 626-575-5462
  • Tips for Living with Coyotes

    Puente Hills Habitat Preservation Authority Ecologist, Dan Cooper, has provided some tips on Living with Coyotes.

  • I have lost my pet

    Check the Los Angeles County Animal Control website to view lost & found animals.

    Clicking on Lost & Found on the left side of the page will give you some tips on how to find your lost pet.

    11258 South Garfield Avenue
    Downey, CA 90242

  • I want a dead animal removed

    Call Animal Control at Phone: (562) 940-6898 and be ready to give them the location of the animal and major cross streets.

    Phone: (562) 940-6898

  • I want to adopt a pet (dogs, cats & rabbits)

    Please visit the Los Angeles County Animal Control website below to see pictures and descriptions of all animals available for adoption at the shelters.

  • I want to report a stray dog / cat

    Call the number below to report any stray dogs or cats. Be ready to tell them the cross streets where the animal was last seen, type of animal, color of the animal, and any other information you may have.

    Phone: (562) 940-6898

  • I want to volunteer to work with animals

    Los Angeles County Animal Control has a volunteer program. Please click the link below to find out how to become a volunteer.

  • Where can I find Los Angeles County Code Title 10?

    Find information about Title 10 here.

  • Where do I get a license for my dog / cat?

    Licenses are issued by Los Angeles County Animal Control in Long Beach or at the shelter in Downey. Applications are available by calling Animal Control or going to the county website (link located below) and clicking Pet Licensing on the left side.

    Phone: 562-345-0400

  • Where is the animal shelter?

    The shelter serving the City of Whittier is located in Downey.

    11258 S. Garfield Avenue
    Downey, CA

    Phone: (562) 940-6898

  • Am I required to get a microchip for my dog?

    If you live within the City limits, you are not required to have a microchip for your dog at this time. However, LA County recommends them as a tool for faster return of your pet.

  • Where can I get a microchip for my dog?

    The County’s Downey shelter implants microchips for free, call them at 562-940-6898 for details. There is a one time fee to have the dog registered nationally. Please call Downey Animal Shelter for details. In addition, most private veterinarian offices will implant the chip for a fee.

  • Will Animal Control pick up a live animal?

    Animal Control no longer picks up trapped animals, but you can drop them off at a shelter.

  • How many dogs can I have?

    Whittier Municipal Code 18.10.20(A) states that single family residences are allowed a maximum of 3 dogs and/or cats per household. Multiple family homes (two or more units on a lot) are allowed a maximum of 2 dogs and/or cats per unit.

  • Do I have to license my cat?

    If you live within the Whittier City limits, you are not currently required to license your cat. The County has a voluntary program available. The cost to license your cat is $10 if your cat is unaltered and $5 if your cat is spayed or neutered.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer