Mayor Joe Vinatieri
Joe Vinatieri was reelected to the City Council by the voters of Whittier in April 2008 and 2012 after having been elected to a two-year term in 2006. In 2016, Joe was elected as Mayor in the first municipal election that allowed voters citywide to directly elect the Mayor; he was re-elected as Mayor in 2018. Joe was born and raised in Whittier, attended Whittier schools and is employed in Whittier as an attorney at Bewley, Lassleben and Miller.
Joe is the proud father of three adult children with his late wife, Sandy, who passed away from complications due to ALS. Joe was recently remarried to Aya.
Joe’s local community involvement includes Member of the Board, Whittier Area Chamber of Commerce; Member, Whittier Union High School District Bond Oversight Committee; Member of the Board and Incorporator of Foundation, Whittier High School Alumni Association and Educational Foundation; Institutional Representative, Boy Scouts of America – Pack and Troop 219; and Member of the Board and past Vice-President, YMCA of Greater Whittier.
Joe was on the Social Services Commission for the City of Whittier from 1984-1988 and was a volunteer counseling youth offenders at Fred C. Nelles School for Boys for 10 years. Joe and Aya are members of Plymouth Congregational Church.
City Council Appointed Organizations
- Southeast Area Social Services Funding Authority, Delegate
- Gateway Cities Council of Governments, SR91/I-605 Corridor Cities Committee, Alternate
- League of California Cities Revenue & Taxation Committee, Delegate
- Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County, Delegate
- City Selection Committee, Delegate
- City Selection Committee Independent Citizens' Oversight Committee Proposition E Special Tax, Delegate
City Council Ad Hoc Committees
- Central Library Remodel
- Fiscal Sustainability
- Policing Contract Review