Mayor Pro Tem
Fernando Dutra was elected in April 2018 to represent District 4 for four years after being elected citywide in April 2014 to a four-year term. Fernando was initially appointed by the City Council in August 2012 to fill the remaining term of the Council seat vacated by Greg Nordbak.
Fernando and his wife, Mary, have three children—Sara, Megan, and Eric. The Dutras have lived in Whittier since 1987. Fernando is President of Allwest Development Company and holds licenses for general building contractor and general engineering.
Fernando served as a Member of the Planning Commission for six years from 2006 to 2012 and has served as Chairman of the Commission. Prior to his term on the Planning Commission, he served for six years on the Design Review Board. He has chaired the Metro Light Rail Extension Project Washington Boulevard Coalition; sits on the Whittier YMCA Board of Directors; and has served on the St. Gregory Parish Board.
City Council Appointed Organizations
- Southeast Area Social Services Funding Authority, Alternate
- Gateway Cities Council of Governments, SR91/I-605 Corridor Cities Committee, Delegate
- Southeast Water Coalition (SEWC), Chair and Delegate
- Gateway Cities Council of Governments, Chair and Delegate
- Gateway Cities Council of Governments Transportation Committee, Delegate
- League of California Cities, Los Angeles County Division, Alternate
- Clean Power Alliance of Southern California, Delegate
City Council Ad Hoc Committees
- Gold Line Light Rail
- Greenway Trail Project Oversight
- Utility Rate
- Parking Structure & Uptown Streetscape Beautification
- Central Library Construction & Improvement