|WATCH: Why Whittier is the Right Fit for Your Business|
"Growing Whittier: Planning the Future, Preserving the Past"
The City of Whittier strives to maintain the community’s unique character while recognizing the importance of accommodating a rapidly changing economy in Southern California. Economic development is a top priority for the City Council as prosperous business owners, quality jobs and an increased tax base all help to create a healthy city. With increased economic vitality, the City of Whittier may continue to provide a high quality of life for workers, business owners, property owners and residents.
The City’s vision for economic development is:
A well-balanced city where business complements and adds to the quality of life for all who live, work, shop and play in Whittier.
The mission statement established to achieve this vision is to:
Facilitate the growth, diversification and stability of the Whittier economy; create prosperous income opportunities for all citizens of the city; expand the economy; and provide a sustainable future for Whittier.
The City of Whittier’s Economic Development Division provides the following services:
- Business outreach, retention and expansion assistance
- A dedicated ombudsperson to serve the business community
- Guide to Doing Business in Whittier
- Educates developers on municipal codes and zoning, and assists with streamlining the development review process making it more efficient for businesses and investors
- Assists property owners filling commercial vacancies and connects expanding businesses with local brokers
- Maintains partnerships with local and regional partners to leverage business assistance, training and workforce development opportunities
- Promotes and encourages local business-to-business transactions through a year-round “Shop Whittier” campaign
- Provides newsletters highlighting development news, networking events, seminars and direct access to helpful business resources
The Business Development Manager serves as the ombudsperson at City Hall and is available to assist members of the business community with site selection, permit inquiries and other business referrals. The Business Development Manager is also responsible for the City’s Economic Development Strategy. The Strategy is designed to serve as a “road map” for a successful local economy and is updated annually. To request a copy of the current Economic Development Strategy, or for other inquiries regarding the City’s economic development efforts, please contact Katie Galvin-Surbatovic at (562) 567-9351 or email email@example.com.
The City’s Economic Development Division looks forward to helping you locate, grow and thrive in Whittier!