The Police Chaplain Program primarily exists to provide support and resources for members of the community, city employees and their immediate families in need of spiritual guidance, counseling, and assistance.
Chaplain Duties Involve
- Conduct invocations at academy graduations, award ceremonies, building, and facility dedications, or at any other appropriate events.
- Preside at weddings/funerals or other religious events for members of the department.
- Be available to officers and their families.
- Provide personal or family counseling when requested by department members.
- Visit sick or injured employees.
- Respond to major incidents and cases involving serious injury to an employee.
- Provide a voice to assist the Department in its dealings with community problems, needs, concerns and interests.
- Provide instruction and consultation to the Department in human relations, ethics, family life, and spiritual matters.
- Participate in Police Ride Alongs.
A Police Chaplain may be called to assist public safety personnel in a variety of situations including, but not limited to:
- Death notifications and assistance.
- Respond to accidents involving serious injury and be available to provide comfort to the injured and their families.
- Assist with persons who are confused or emotionally upset.
- Assist field personnel with suicide / attempted suicide situations.
- Assist with family disturbances and marital quarrels.
- Counsel chemical abusers or their families.
- Assist with minor mental health problems.
Minimum Qualifications for Police Chaplains:
- Must be a credentialed (licensed and ordained) minister or otherwise approved member of the clergy in the Cities of Whittier and or Santa Fe Springs.
- Be in good standing with your organization.
- Be active in the ministry or in a related ministry with their own denomination.
- Exhibit and maintain high spiritual and moral standards.
- Possess a valid California driver's license.
- Never have been convicted of a felony.
- Agree to be involved in training that the Department might offer to enhance their effectiveness as a Police Chaplain.
- Pass a complete background check.
For more information and to receive an application, please contact Sergeant Brian Corletto at firstname.lastname@example.org