Beginning July 1, 2018, the City of Whittier will offer payment plans to indigent registered Owner(s)/Lessee(s) with unpaid parking citations issued on or after July 1, 2018 for the amounts of $300.00 or less.
If you wish to apply for an indigent payment plan, you must request the application within 60 calendar days of issuance of the citation, or within 10 days of administrative hearing determination, whichever is later.
An indigent payment plan provides the option to pay your parking citation in up to $25.00 monthly increments, and shall be paid off within 18 months of the payment plan approval date. Upon approval, a non-refundable payment plan fee of $5.00 will be assessed to the total payment plan amount and all late fees and penalties shall be waived. Waived late fees and penalties may be reinstated if the person falls out of compliance with the payment plan.
The registered Owner/Lessee must demonstrate that he or she is indigent by providing either of the following information as applicable:
A person is "Indigent" if they meet any of the following conditions:
- The person receives public benefits from any of the programs listed in subdivision (a) of section 68632 of the Government Code.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- California Work Opportunity (Cal works)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps)
- County Relief, General Relief (GR) or General Assistance (GA)
- Cash Assistance Program for Aged, Blind, and Disabled Legal Immigrants
- In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
- The person meets the income criteria set forth in subdivision (B) of section 68632 of the Government Code. An applicant whose monthly income is 125% or less of the current poverty guidelines updated periodically in the Federal Register by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
Proof of Indigence
The person may demonstrate that he or she is indigent by providing either of the following information, as applicable:
- Proof of receipt of benefits under the programs described in subdivision (a) of section 68632 of the Government Code. Proof of receipt will consist of a copy of the most recent verification of benefits form, notice of action (approval) letter or award letter.
- If a person has no income or does not receive public assistance, a copy of their yearly earnings from the Social Security Department is required for proof.
- Proof of income from 3 most recent paystubs or other form of proof of earnings such as a bank statement that shows the individual meets the income criteria set forth in subdivision (b) of section 68632 of the Government Code.